The idea for Stuart Little came from a dream E. B. White had while riding a train. He dreamed of a small character who had the features of a mouse, was born to a human family, and was always nicely dressed, courageous, and who loved adventure. Readers of the book still try to decide if Stuart as really a mouse or a tiny boy who looked like a mouse.
Stuart may be small, but he acts as if he doesn't know it. He certainly isn't held back by it at all. His adventures are ...well adventures. The book is full of them. Have fun with this read!
clip from the 2002 Movie
About Stuart Little
- Stuart is not actually a mouse. At least, everyone keeps saying “he looks like a mouse."
- Stuart doesn’t just live with this family. He is their son.
- Stuart’s parents are very concerned that his mouse-ness will make him unhappy. .
- Stuart does have many adventures. They occasionally involve him being helpful due to his small size, and these are kind of cute.
- Mostly these adventures involve Stuart almost dying.
- The Little family has a cat. They don’t seem to think this is dangerous to their son who happens to look just like a mouse.